Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Five meditations to kickstart your practice

It can be hard to start a meditation practice... it can be harder to keep a meditation practice going.  If you are looking to start or looking to stay on track, here are a few practices to play with.

Remember to set your timer so there is no need to check your clock.  Ignore any and all outside distractions while you are meditating - this time is for you!  If you are new to meditating, start with just a few minutes and gradually build up to a time that feels right for you.  And on those more difficult days, remember there is a reason it is called a practice :-)

1.  Counting Meditation - Sit, counting your breaths up to 7, then begin again at 1.  If you get distracted, just start again at 1.
2.  Meditation on the Breath - Sit, feeling each and every aspect of your breath, nothing more.
3.  Observing Meditation - Sit, watch your thoughts as they move across the screen of your mind.  Watch, without becoming involved.
4. Mantra Meditation - Sit, repeating a mantra, continually emptying your mind of everything else.  I recommend the mantra "I am" (or in sanskrit "So Ham").
5. Mudra Meditation - Sit, bringing your hands in to an appropriate mudra for you (just google mudra, you will find many options, all of which are said to elicit different responses in your body and mind), let everything else go but the sensation of the mudra.

Try one or all of these meditation practices - different practices resonate differently with everyone, sometimes you have to try a few before you find the one(s) most helpful to you.  Do not be discouraged, you WILL find it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment