Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Yoga for Happy Hips: Rotators

Marisa's Class Notes:
External Rotation – the “Deep Six” external rotators attaching from sacrum and pelvis to femur + gluteous maximus, with a little help from some of your hip flexors and adductors. Most of us have some natural turn out here because of how our thigh bones sit in the acetabulum. But many of us have more turn out than that because these muscles are tight from every postures esp. sitting and stressing. This can lead to piriformis syndrome (often called sciatica) as one of the deep six – the piriformus – gets tight and applies pressure to the sciatic nerve. If these are tight for you, a very simply way to stretch them is to change your standing posture so that the insides of your feet are parallel instead of turned out.
Find your external rotators with Gary's Twist - lie on back, take one leg over body into twist.  Turning from hips, turn kneecap toward sky.  You should feel this distinctly in your bottom.

Internal Rotation – the internal rotators and the abductors are one and the same – minimus, medius, and tfl with a little help from a couple of your hams.


Normal range of motion for both is about 45 degrees. We will explore this in our practice where you should feel the movement of internal rotation under the hand on your hip.  In external rotation, try to shift the work out of the space under your hand and into your bottom, nearer your sacrum.


No comments:

Post a Comment