Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Yoga for Strength and Balance

Each semester in my Slow Flow Yoga class at New Mexico Tech we work for weeks learning individual poses in depth and developing the skills for a breath-supported yoga sequence that culminates our semester's experience together.  This particular flow was especially challenging, requiring new dimensions of focus and self-acceptance as each day delivered a new challenge, even though we practiced the same poses.  More than any other semester, we needed some days to just step away and regroup.

This flow is based on a sequence I found online many years ago by Mark Giubarelli.  I think he called it Pigeon Flies to Tree.  Over years of practice, it evolved into my own unique take on that flow.  I think one of the parts of it that I like the most is the interplay between movement and stillness - holding a pose for *most* of the inhales and finding transitions on the exhales: the best of both vinyasa and static yoga :-)

For those of you, like me, that like to see a sequence written out... here you go...
Start standing - use your favorite pranayam throughout.  Use one leg as your dominate leg the first run though, then use the other for the second for a complete round and balanced flow.
Inhale arms up into Mountain
Exhale Half Moon
Inhale Mountain
Exhale Half Moon other side
Inhale Mountain
Exhale Lunge
Exhale Three Legged Dog
Exhale Proud Pigeon
Exhale Resting Pigeon
Inhale Proud Pigeon
Exhale Three Legged Dog
Exhale Lunge
Exhale Warrior 3
Exhale Standing Squat var. (cross ankle over thigh)
Exhale Tree
Exhale Lunge
Exhale Three Legged Dog
Exhale Proud Pigeon
Exhale Resting Pigeon
Inhale Proud Pigeon
Exhale Three Legged Dog
Exhale Lunge
Exhale Forward Fold/Uttanasana
Inhale Mountain
Exhale Half Moon
Inhale Mountain
Exhale Half Moon
Inhale Mountain
Exhale Arms Down

No comments:

Post a Comment