Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Shoulder Exploration and Strengthening!

Understanding your shoulders is key to avoiding injury in this relatively weak joint. Explore downward facing dog and dolphin pose to feel how all the muscles work together to keep you safe and strong.

A warm up is advised prior to this brief but powerful exploration... consider warm ups to open the spine (i.e. 6 movements of the spine, sun salutations), shoulders (i.e. sun breaths, arm circles, cactus/robot arms), and wrists (i.e.anjali mudra variations, wrist circles, tractioning wrists). These same practices as cool downs (plus poses like bridge and reclining twists) will help to prevent soreness the next day.

 This practice is helpful for all, but especially those beginning to explore arm balances.


No comments:

Post a Comment