Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Monday, July 13, 2015

The most relaxing yoga breath ever...

6:9:3 - There is a whole science behind using ratios in pranayama practice... different ratios of inhale, exhale and pause can produce dramatically different effects.  If you are interested in diving into it, I suggest finding resources from TKV Desikachar, AJ Mohan and Gary Kraftsow - they all speak to this in their books.  

I learned this particular ratio years back from Gary Kraftsow and I turn to it whenever I am in need of some serious relaxation... You can use your favorite pranayam or just breath as you institute the breathing ratios.  

(My pranayam preference for this ratio is to do a 3 part inhale from the bottom up and 3 part exhale from the top down in a variation of the Dirgha Breath that I learned at Kripalu.  This most closely matches my natural breath patterns (making it more naturally relaxing) but the awareness helps ensure I build my lung capacity and control.  I have also used this ratio to great result with Anulom/Vilom) 

In a comfortable position:
INHALE 6
EXHALE  6 
REPEAT 6x


INHALE 6
EXHALE 9
REPEAT 6x


INHALE 6
EXHALE 9
PAUSE 3
REPEAT 6


After your last pause, release the count as you continue to breath.
After the next exhale, release the conscious pause.
After the next exhale, release all conscious control of your breath and just be.

It is the systematic, progressive slowing of the breath that helps to slow the mind and bring the nervous system into parasympathetic mode (rest and digest more :-), thus creating the most relaxing breath ever.  *Note: It may not be wise to operate large machinery after this practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment