Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

4 Things I Learned From My First SUP Yoga Class

1.  Surface area is your friend!  I knew this on land, but SUP Yoga takes it to another level... I really had to work to spread my hands and feet for better balance.

2. You can't, as my teacher put it, "half-ass" anything!  If you don't have the proper engagement, you might end up in the water.  This really helped me to see where I was normally slacking off in poses. (see #1)

3. Without relaxation, there is no balance.  You must engage properly (#2), you must find lots of surface area (#1) but if you don't have an element of relaxation in everything you do, you won't be able to move with/on the water.  I needed to soften into the movement that was happening below me, just as I soften into the movement of my breath on land.  Become too stiff and balance is no more!


4. Savasana can't possibly EVER be long enough :-)  Rocking on the gentle waves, sound of the shoreline in my ears, feet and fingers trailing in the water... I could have stayed there forever.  I have no idea if our savasana was 3 minutes or 30 minutes but whatever it was, I could have stayed all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment