Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Massage your Upper Back with this Bridge Pose variation

Here's a great pose to add in to your practice when that upper back feels tight - it gets right into those rhomboids! I learned this variation of Bridge Pose from Gary Krafstow years ago and its still one of my favorites.  He calls it Dvi Pada Pithum, the 2-footed posture.  I think this is a great way to think of it because it reminds us that our base is still our two feet.  This helps to keep weight in the feet, work in the legs and avoids too much pressure into the shoulders, upper back and neck.

Dvi Pada Pithum.
Hips up, shoulders down
Dvi Pada Pithum.
Hips down, shoulders up
Dvi Pada Pithum. In transit


Lie on your back, soles on the floor hip width apart, knees bent.  Bring your arms up toward the sky and interlace your fingers, palms moving together.

On your inhale, press down with your straight arms and your feet rolling your hips and back upward.  The shoulders are pressed into the floor by your straight arms.

On your exhale, roll your back down as you lift your hands toward the sky thus lifting your shoulders. No need to lift your head.

Each breath's actions are simultaneous not one at a time. So, as you inhale, its hips rising and shoulders pressing down. As you exhale, its back rolling down as the shoulders lift.

As with all bridge pose variations, you want no pressure on your spine or in your neck, this is a sign you are going too far.

If you have been experiencing discomfort in your upper back and shoulders for a while, especially if you have that awful stabbing pain between your shoulder blades, follow Dvi Pada Pithum with supported fish to really help release the upper back muscles and open your chest.  Deep breaths to feed muscles and relaxation :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment